Break ups are never easy, as women, we cry, talk to our friends, cry, sometimes smash our car into the median on the highway ripping the door of our Mustang. Not that I have necessarily have done any or all the above (in case anyone from the Ministry of Transportation is reading this ). It seems to me that there is never a time in our lives when we are not going through some horrible and emotional break up, whether with our recent love, our best friend or ending a long term marriage.
I don’t take these things as a joke but let’s step back a little and give ourselves a little breathing space. Sometimes we can even laugh a little. So in that vein here is my own personal list of break up survival tips. Not for the Zombie Apocalypse but for our own personal heart break apocalypse’s.
- Always look your best, just in case you run into the dreaded ex
- Look great in a fabulous lipstick and great eyemakeup but skip the mascara – let’s not have that running down our faces…. if mascara is a must head over the nearest Sephora and get some heavy duty waterproof mascara.
- Be prepared for crying jags that could come on at any time, make sure you have plenty of tissue on hand and lots of make up to replace the stuff that just washed away in a flood of tears.
- Stock up your freezer with your favorite couple of guys, Ben & Jerry, you never know when the urge for a three some might stike you and you find yourself in bed with Ben & Jerry
- Don’t listen to music that you and your now ex listened to together, in fact stock up on your favorite guilty past time…. such as movies where things explode, may I suggest Independence Day, while I do not suggest we should really blow up the White House, there is nothing as therapeutic as seeing it on screen.
- Do you play video games? Switch it up a bit, maybe a first person shooter game will help you through this a bit. Remember getting a little angry is helpful when in pain.
- Purge your household, are his favorite foods still in the fridge or the pantry, throw them out. No point in bursting out into tears over his favorite cashews.
- If you feel that a good cry is in order, then movies to pop into the DVD player include, The Way we Were, The Notebook, Love Actually, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, The Wedding Singer (seriously, who wouldn’t want Billy Idol giving your ex hell for breaking up with you) and my personal favorite Annie Hall, more than a break up movie and more of personal meditation on relationships in general.
- When at home ensure you have access to either a nice furry blanket or a furry pet that likes to be randomly hugged. Remember when life gives you a Jeffery hug a furry wall, or pet or stuffed animal